Dingbats Anyone?


Do you like dingbats? I do love dingbats. Most of the time I rip them off and use them as vector graphics. All you have to do is type the dingbats in Adobe Illustrator, select the text then go to Type > Create Outlines, instant vector clipart.

Dingbats are not so popular. A lot of people and designers take them for granted and would only use them often as bullet points. But still, you will find them in a lot of places from the smallest printed materials to documents and reports, and to a lot of other websites. So what are dingbats anyway?

A dingbat is an ornament, character or spacer used in typesetting, sometimes more formally known as a “printer’s ornament” or “printer’s character”. The term supposedly originated as onomatopoeia in old style metal-type print shops, where extra space around text or illustrations would be filled by dinging an ornament into the space then bating tight to be ready for inking.

The term is continued to be used in the computer industry to describe fonts that had symbols and shapes in the positions designated for alphabetical or numeric characters.

I’ve rounded up a few most commonly used true type font dingbats and some fancy ones for download.

Carr Dingbats

Davys Dingbats

Dingbats Regular

Dingbats Thin

QT Dingbits



Split Splat Splodge



WC Rhesus B Beta


  1. texas holdem 1 October, 2012 at 00:23

    Please let me know if you’re looking for a article author for your blog. You have some really good posts and I feel I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love
    to write some material for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
    Please shoot me an email if interested. Cheers!

Post a new comment

Recommended for you